The Internet has become an integral part of almost every aspect of our daily lives and is one of the largest drivers of economic growth in the United States. The Internet Tax Freedom Act Coalition is a partnership of businesses, associations and consumers that are dedicated to growing our 21st century Internet economy. We believe that passage of a permanent extension of the Internet Tax Freedom Act (ITFA) will benefit America’s consumers and innovators and ultimately lead to higher economic growth and job creation.
Maintain and grow consumer access to the Internet and Internet commerce by keeping Internet access free of taxation and ensuring that consumer purchases of goods and services over the Internet are not subject to multiple and discriminatory taxation.
Congress has introduced legislation in both chambers of Congress that would help achieve this mission: the Permanent Internet Tax Freedom Act (H.R.235) and the Internet Tax Freedom Forever Act (S. 431)
What Does ITFA Do?
- Adoption: Promotes continued consumer adoption of Internet services by extending the current Internet Tax Freedom Act last passed in 2007.
- Access: Minimizes taxation of this critical gateway to education, healthcare and entrepreneurial opportunities regardless of race, income or neighborhood.
- Consumer Protection: Protects current and future consumer access to the Internet by keeping Internet access free from state and local taxation by more than 10,000 different state and local tax authorities.
- Certainty: Permanently prevents multiple and discriminatory taxation of the 21st century Internet economy.
- Innovation: Small businesses and entrepreneurs will be free to continue to develop new products and services without new or discriminatory tax burdens.
- Investment: Encourages broadband deployment and continued investment in new Internet services that improve our lives.